Friday, January 18, 2013

Ride 'em Cowboy

This is my entry for this week's Twisted Thursday challenge over at The Outlawz. This week's twist was make it masculine.


This is another metal smithing card done using copper metal and a metal smithing template I purchased from Dick Blick. I chose to rough up the metal on the entire piece this time. The rope frame was cut using my Silhouette Cameo and a cut file from their online store. Metal smithing is a lot of fun. You place the metal securely around the mold and using various plastic tools, you burnish the piece until the entire outline shows. You could leave it just like that, or you can then distress it using other metal tools. You can scratch it or sand it to remove the top color and reveal the silver underneath. I used some rubbing creams to highlight a few of the items after sanding. I then placed the rope frame on top and cut away the excess metal. This was then layered on a piece of distressed brown card stock. I used the Tim Holtz distressing tool to rough up the edges and I rolled them a little on the corners. The cowboy hat is a piece of black chipboard that was then distressed using a couple of different acrylic paints to give it a faux leather look. I added jute around the hat and then made it into a lasso to bring it to the other corner. I had these two little horseshoe charms that I removed the top from and distressed with a copper pen.

8 comments:

  1. OH WOW Susan this is STUNNING. Simply fabulous so creative. Just love it to bits............

    ReplyDelete
  2. That metal smithing design is super awesome. I love that look. And am always liking the western designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing card! Looks like a giant Texas belt buckle to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darn creative! Love the robe cut, hat, string. Oh and of course the metal. But it's the creativeness that is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful effect! Great distressing all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen this technique before but it looks awesome! You have done a really good job with this card :)

    ReplyDelete